The client base in Auburn and the surrounding areas have a higher than normal proficiency in electronic communication. What does this mean to a business owner? Your potential clients will likely seek information about your business using online tools, and being online is even more important in our area than it might be in other markets.
The first step in being found online is to have a good website. But what makes a good website?
In today's "connected" world, just having a website does not equate to having a good website. Even hiring a professional to develop your site does not guarantee that it will be a good site. Here are some basic tips:
- You want your website to be "responsive" (able to resize and reformat to fit any viewing device)
- You don't want a static site but rather a site built on a modern content management system so updates can be frequent and easy.
- You do NOT want a site built with any of the "Free Website" tools. They usually look like a "Free site" and often carry promotional material for other sites and companies.
- Your site should include a blog or an area that you post current information on a regular basis.
Of course we recommend that you work with a professional, and when you do, ask plenty of questions like:
- What platform will you use to construct the site?
- Will the site be fully responsive?
- Are you using one of the "Free Website" tools to build my site?
- Where will graphics and photos come from? Will they be appropriately licensed for use on my site?
- Will the site be integrated with my social media?
- Will the site include a blog or area for me to easily post updates or will I have to pay you for updates?
The appearance of your website is just as important as the appearance of your store front. Take the time to put your best foot forward.